Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pilgrimage

 "There is no other place like it in the world."  Kurt Busch

"It's like racing fighter jets in a gymnasium."


Like Mecca to Muslims, Bristol Motor Speedway is one of those places a true NASCAR fan must experience.  Even I (lukewarm at best) was awed by the immensity of the structure.



Once kids are in the picture, date nights always seem to end with a run to Wal-mart or the grocery store.  Thankfully our night out yielded some clearance NASCAR apparel for the upcoming event.


Andrew was a little overwhelmed with meeting two real drivers -
Chad Hackenbracht who races in the ARCA Driving Series (whatever that is)


and Julia Dawson of the UARA Stars (haven't heard of this either).


We decided that Stephen and Papa probably aren't cut out for the NASCAR pit crew circuit - Stephen said the tools were too loud and Papa couldn't figure out how to work the controls.


Police patrol might be more up his alley.


There were lots of different types of cars and people for one's viewing pleasure -
for example, check out the guy in the background:


Need a closer look?


BMS personified.

Yes, it was better people-watchin' than the local county fair. 


Yet, even with the best of times, there must be tears.

The cause?  He didn't get an "I love Hooters" sticker. 

Not that he could read it, nor would he understand if he did (though some redneck behind me assured me that the boys would really appreciate this in another 10 years!).

But for the sake of family peace, I marched my 30 week pregnant body through the crowd
to kindly request an extra sticker from the the scantily-clad female. 


After tears were dried and Andrew glimpsed his hero Jeff Gordon, we decided we had had our fill.


As we passed by the speedway nearly 12 years ago, headed off on our honeymoon and the joys of married life, I never dreamed I would be returning with these four precious boys in tow.

4 comments:

  1. OH.MY.FREAKING.WORD.

    To picture this is the funniest thing ever. You had me at "Bristol Motor Speedway," but I complete lost in when you went back for another Hooters sticker.

    This story is magazine worthy. I'm going to be telling everyone I know about this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too overwhelming...I have all these comments that I keep wanting to make but I can't seem to get them to come out!

    Let's get together, drink lemonade, and you can tell me more fun stories about your pilgrimage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I was hoping you'd post some pictures of your pilgrimage. Looks like everyone had a great time - but I must say it's hilarious to think about you trooping around Bristol Motor Speedway (especially 30 weeks pregnant!) Do your boys know we went to college just a few minutes away and never once went to check the place out :) Your a good Mama for humoring your crew - they'll remember it (and probably be giving you the play-by-play) for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot even begin to tell you how hard Mr. T. and I are laughing! You are so funny! I totally agree that this post is magazine worthy.

    ReplyDelete